Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Quiet Man

No, I don't mean Don.

One of our favourite movies is The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Don has seen it about 40 times and has been known, after several glasses of wine at dinner parties, to re-enact the entire movie, Irish accents and all, to the amusement of strangers and abject embarrassment of wife and daughters. All this to say that we went on a tour of Cong, the west Ireland town where it was filmed. It was good Don was there because he was able to correct the tour guide on several occasions (okay, he didn't correct her, but he did add additional information. He told me later that he actually restrained himself because he could have said a lot more, and that he intends, in retirement, to work summer months as a golf marshall in Ottawa and winter months as a tour guide in Cong).

To prove that absolutely nothing embarrasses me, here's a photo of Don and me dressed up as the lead characters in the re-created cottage--White 'o Morn--from the film. (I think I may have picked up the rug instead of the shawl):



That's the sort of photo with which a person could be blackmailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment